According to the National Cancer Institute, cannabis has been used for medicinal purposes for more than 3,000 years.
- 1850-1942: Cannabis is listed on U.S. Pharmacopoeia and used to treat more than 100 different illnesses or diseases
- 1996: California becomes first state to legalize medical cannabis
- 1998-2015: Medical cannabis use legalized in 23 states and the District of Columbia
- 2000: Nevada legalizes medical cannabis
- 2012-2014: Recreational cannabis use legalized in four states and District of Columbia
- 2016: Nevada votes to legalize recreational cannabis